Although my blog is named "Nine Lives" and my profile picture is a picture of Tommy I do not think I have ever blogged about Tommy. Well, when I moved to Houston I really wanted to get an animal. I realized fast that I did not have the patience, skill, or time to potty train a puppy. Also, I am not a big fan of waking up earlier than I have to..so the thought of having to wake up an extra 30 minutes early to walk a dog in the morning did not appeal to me either. Furthermore, with my random schedule I did not know if I would even have the time to take the dog out enough and yadda ya....thus I decided a cat would be perfect for me.
I have always liked cats as you might have read in one of my earlier posts and knew that I wanted to get a kitten. Steven, the bf told me he was allergic to cats and shot my hopes of ever getting one. Then one day he fessed up and said he wasn't allergic to cats he just didn't think my mom really wanted me to get one so it was his way of helping her achieve her goal. Well, once I found out Steven was not allergic I decided that I was going to get a kitten. One random Monday in September I was bored with studying and decided I would go to Pets Mart to price cat food and litter and cat stuff just so I would know how much money it would cost me to have a cat. Anyways, of course when I got there I saw a sign that said adoptions and an unknown force pushed me towards that sign....there in the corner of Pets Mart was a place called Buster's Friends. Buster's Friends is an animal rescue program and there were lots and lots of cats. Some old some not. I was gazing at them when the lady asked if I wanted to come in and pet the cats. Of course I said yes. Then.....I saw him....there he was....Tommy (at that time his name was Harry). I asked her how old he was and she said he was 5 months old. He had already been fixed and needed a home. He was very energetic and was playing with a play mouse. The lady said he had a brother that was adopted the day before. I picked him up and just fell in love. I could not leave him there....it was then that all of a sudden a force came over me and I said I will take him.
It is crazy how once you have an animal you can not imagine your life without them. I love Tommy so much. My sister, mom, and boyfriend think it is a little ridiculous how much I love Tommy but they just do not get it. Law school is hard....hard is probably an understatement...and growing up and trying to figure out life is hard to....and instead of being alone I have Tommy. He just looks up at me and sits by me and purrs and lets me pet him until everything is alright. He is the perfect companion because he does not talk back instead he just listens. And a lot of time that is all I need just someone to listen. Family and friends do not want to hear me complain about law school all the time and so I have Tommy.
On Wednesday I had to take Tommy to the vet for a procedure and leave him there for two days....when the nurse took him I started crying. My sister thought I was absolutely crazy but they just do not get it. I do not know what I would do if anything happened to that cat. He is a huge part of my life and I can not imagine my life without him there to make me feel better when I am down or make me life when I am bored out of my mind from studying. Today I got to pick him up from the vet and am taking care of him nursing him back to health. I love that little guy.
I would encourage anyone out there thinking of getting an animal to adopt one from a shelter. These animals need homes and they make great pets. All it takes is an open heart and they are there to be loved.


No comments:
Post a Comment