Thursday, April 15, 2010

Power Heels



It is amazing how a change of an outfit can change the way people perceive you. Tuesday I went into Best Buy in a summer cotton dress flip flops and a headband....automatically the sales guy asked me if I was a student...(college student....highschool student......) and I said yes I was I am a law student. He then told me about the laptop I was interested in and said it would do all the things I needed it to do. I purchased it and went on my merry way. Of course when I got home shit hit the fan and the laptop did not work how it was suppose to. It would not connect to the internet and I had the joy of talking to three ppl on the phone about how to fix the problem. You could tell each man on the phone though I was some stupid helpless female who didnt know a thing. I got so frustrated. I went back to Best Buy and the guys there were nice but still treated me as if I was some dumb blonde who didnt have a clue about anything since I wasnt all pimply and wearing a "Star Trek" T-shirt. Anyways they were nice and said they would exchange it for a new one and I would be able to pick it up the next day. Well yesterday I had to wear my new black suit to school because I had my oral argument for LRW. Dressed to impress with my new black heels and suit on I went into Best Buy after school to pick up my laptop. When I got to the counter the salesman addressed as "Mam" and handed me the laptop. He proceeded to ask me what business I was in and instead of telling him I was a law student...I said "law." You should have seen his reaction.....yes this blonde hair blue eyed girl is smart!! It felt so good being respected. Often times I doubt whether all this school work is worth it...but yesterday knowing that one day when people ask me what I do ...I will be able to proudly say "I am an attorney."



In today's world I think women still face that age old battle of proving to men we can be just as smart and successful as them. I feel like women have to work that much harder to be seen as smart and intelligent. Even though more women are attending law school than before and women are making more money than their husbands in some households.....some people still have a hard time realizing that just because women have boobs and are able to have babies that doesn't take away from our potential.



1 comment:

  1. Amen sister!! I have definitely experienced this a time or two. Glad you got your computer working!

    ReplyDelete